Radiant and Healthy Skin: Your Body After Menopause
It’s true – your body does change during and after menopause. While it’s certainly not a pleasurable experience going through the hot flashes, mood swings, insomnia and more, there are ways to make this life transition easier for your physical – and mental – health.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Typically starting between the ages of 45-55, menopause looks differently for every woman. While the severity of the changes will fluctuate, women usually experience some degree of the following:
- Lack of Sexual Desire
- Vaginal Dryness
- Skin Dryness
- Hot Flashes
- Cold Sweats
- Mood Shifts
- Hair Loss/Growth
- Weight Gain
WHY IT HAPPENS
The culprit? You can blame the decrease in estrogen levels here. Once menopause hits, the body begins the process of slowing menstruation – ultimately stopping the release of eggs altogether and as a result, the production of estrogen.
While the whole body is impacted by the decrease in estrogen, it is the skin – the largest and most visible organ of the body, after all- that is the most noticeable. In short, less estrogen at menopause decreases the skin’s ability to stay hydrated, which causes dryness and a loss of elasticity- in other words: wrinkling and sagging.
TURNING THE TABLES ON THE AFTERMATH OF MENOPAUSE
Luckily, this isn’t a sit still and “let it happen” type of situation. There are a number of things you can do- both at home and with a specialist- to help your skin retain its youthful glow well past the final stages of menopause.
At Home Self-Care:
- Maintain a healthy diet FULL of antioxidants to help continue producing collagen.
- Drink, drink, drinkâ¦ plenty of water throughout the day. Staying hydrated is essential for every organ in our bodies- especially our skin!
- Be proactive with sunscreen and daily moisturizers. View our favorite sunscreen here.
- Get enough sleep!
A Little Extra Help Never Hurt:
- No one wants the stubborn facial hair that sometimes shows up during menopause- and with laser hair removal, you donât have to worry about adding it to your daily routine. Ask about how we can help you remove the unwanted hair on your chip, lip, face, legs, armpits and more – once and for all.
- Rejuvenate your glow with a face peel or microneedling session.
- Fill in the thinning lines with pain-free Botox and other dermal filler options.
- Remove age or sun spots, acne scars, and wrinkles with laser skin rejuvenation.
- And don’t forget about the areas you can’t see- but absolutely impact your life! With options such as the O-Shot and DiVa treatments, you can get the help you need to get the zest back in your sex life. By improving vaginal dryness, tightening of the vaginal skin/tissue, issues with incontinence, and clitoral stimulation, both the O-Shot and DiVa are non-invasive, in-office treatments that will leave you feeling as young on the inside as you look on the outside!
Donât look at the next milestone in your life as a one-way road to lackluster skin! Contact us today at Austin Plastic Surgery Institute Skin Care Clinic to schedule a consult with our team of specialists. With our innovative skin treatments- and pain-free options to help your sex life sizzle- we look forward to helping you celebrate the next stages of your life, menopause and all.